Updated: October 2019
There are no affiliate links on PagePipe.
The missing WP Super Simple Speed plugin is still available to download on GitHub.
The plugin author removed the plugin because he was probably fed up with trying to help people with conflict problems from minification – actually concatenation of files. The plugin wasn’t removed by WordPress. The conflicts were mainly with fat, heavy plugins you shouldn’t use anyway – like Gravity Forms plugin.
If a plugin “breaks” anything. Simply don’t use it.
WP Super Simple Speed is lightweight (less than 20kb in size), and has no clutter or unnecessary code or settings. Simple performance optimization without any hassle.
Don’t be afraid staleness of WP Super Simple Speed plugin. It works fine with newer PHP 7.1.
There is some redundancy with Autoptimize plugin and Far-Futures plugin features. But there’s no conflict and it finishes off a few hard to remove speed bumps.
WP Super Simple Speed writes new command code into your .htaccess file on your server. It does not overwrite any existing code.
- Automatic hotlink protection to prevent bandwidth stealing/leeching.
- GZIP compression (speeds up page load time and saves bandwith).
- Loads jquery from Google CDN (decreases latency | increases parallelism | better caching).
- Includes Vary: Accept-Encoding Header (increase performance and score on various performance tools).
- Disables auto-save on posts (lowers overhead on the server that can impact performance).
- Automatically sets UTF-8 encoding for files being served as text/html or text/plain.
- Enables keepalive (allowing persistent connections) which saves on bandwidth.
- Removes unnecessary clutter from wp head (rsd, version generator, and much more).
- Dequeues extra fontAwesome stylesheets loaded to your theme by other plugins.
- Removes query strings from all static resources.
The usefulness of this plugin varies with each site. There are alternative discrete plugins to achieve the same features. This plugin is just “handy” to cut down the plugin count.
The discrete plugins are: